Friday, October 05, 2007

Sweet and Simple

Life has been ramping up lately. Work has been going at full speed, the sou chef started her second year of pre-school and her assistant (I guess that would be the line cook?) is now hitting 15 weeks.

Time for meals that are both wicked fast and can be frozen or kept for left overs later that week.

enter

the

chop-suey

According to Wikipedia the dish I ate growing up is not chop-suey at all. Rather it is just elbow macaroni, ground beef, diced yellow onion and 2 16 ounce cans of stewed tomatoes.

I don't care, I call it chop suey, my wife calls it chop suey and besides, meat and macaroni sounds a bit sketchy to me.

This could be a one dish meal if you cooked the meat in the same pot you used to boil the pasta. Basically it it is as simple as can be-

1 lb of ground beef
1 lb box of elbows
1 medium yellow onion diced
2 cans of stewed tomatoes

Mix and serve




We got a little fancy and added some parmigiana cheese to it for the wife and I.





The sou chef, who won't eat hamburger, ate up the 'meatballs' in the chop-suey.

I do like to make fancy dinners but during the week this hits the spot. It is cheaper then take out and there is enough leftovers for lunch the next day.


A brief programing note. The photos are something I have never been real thrilled with on Sauces and Stuff. Some of the blogs I read have really over the top photos. Over the next few months I will be working on the photos on the site.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: