Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Boo!

Happy Halloween!

Talk about a scary photo - thankfully we won the Series and all is fine with the world.


We did our usual carve the pumpkin last night and saved the seeds to make roasted / toasted pumpkin seeds. There are hundreds of overly complex recipes for doing this on the internet. Me, I like to keep it simple



Remove as much of the pumpkin stuff from the seeds as possible, then fill the bowl with water. If lucks has it, most of the stuff sinks and then you can scoop up the seeds.




I then like to toast them in a large non-stick skillet for a few minutes over medium heat to remove as much moisture as possible.



After that into a 350 degree over on parchment paper for about 20 minutes or so.



Afterwards, I toss lightly with some salt and into a Tupperware. I am snacking on some right now as I sip my Dunkin Donuts and write this post.

Delish!

And by the way, I seriously don't like candy corn


Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Backyard Chef said...

Those look and sound great, Bradley! I'm glad you found some time to play in the kitchen.

Thanks for the nice comment on my blog. Have a great and spooooky halloween!

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

I've never roasted pumpkin seeds - that's a great idea, and I'll bet it tastes much better than the store-bought version.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE pumpkin seeds. I like your idea of roasting them in a skillet prior to the oven. We always boil ours and then roast them.

Kajal@aapplemint said...

Pumpkin seeds are an ultimate snack item. Healthy too ! This was nice to see , kinda got tired of seeing all the posts on other pumpkiny stuff !

Bradley said...

backyard chef - You are welcome and thanks for the comments!

t.w. barritt - The great thing about doing it yourself is you can control the amount of salt and the consistency yourself. The only ones I can stomach in a store are the unsalted ones.

kristen - Thanks for the comments, roasting them in a skillet seemed like a great way to remove some of the excess moisture prior to roasting them. Even with about 5 minutes on the stove top, they still take about 20 minutes in the oven

Kate/Kajal - thanks I agree but I tend to overdose on them when I have an ample supply of fresh ones near by!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Great post, Bradley! Love the pic of the little Red Sox guy--priceless. You know, I made butternut squash yesterday, and as I was removing the seeds, my husband said, "Hey, we should make roasted pumpkin seeds this year." And now I see you have, so I'll take it as a sign. And I can't remember the last time I had a Dunkin Donuts coffee!
P.S. Did you watch the Pats/Colts yesterday? I was getting so aggravated in the fourth quarter, that I got up to take some pictures for my blog, then Brady threw for the touchdown and I missed it. I got back on the sofa in a hurry.