Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Colorado


I am heading to Fort Collins, CO for the remainder of the week. Given that Denver, lays claim to the invention of the cheeseburger (The trademark for the name Cheeseburger was awarded in 1935 to Louis Ballast). Who knows what tasty burgers await me?

So my usual post is on Thursdays but I since I will be out of town, why not an early one?

As with most cooks we have a lot of cook books and when I say a lot I mean shelves and shelves of them and as with most home cooks we rarely use them. Last week for dinner it was the usual what to make and we decided to whip out Chuck Williams Simple American Cooking (book is out of print but there is a copy on eBay that I linked to) and make the Baked Chicken with Honey Lemon Glaze.

The recipe is very simple and we substituted skinless chicken breast for the whole chicken cut into pieces.


1 lb boiling onions
I lemon

1/4 cup honey
3 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1 1/2 half dry
2 lbs chicken breast

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tables spoons minced shallot

s/ p to taste
1/2 cup golden raisins (we substituted black raisins when we could not find the golden)

The recipe was wicked simple basically you trim and score the onions bring them to a boil and then simmer for 5 minutes, set aside

Zest the lemon and then add the zest, juice of the lemon , honey and the thyme and set aside


Put the butter and the minced shallot into the baking dish and into the oven 375 until the butter melts. I placed it into the oven while it was pre-heating


S/P the chicken , place in the baking dish and cook for about 10 minutes, remove from oven and flip over the chicken



Coat with the honey mixture and drained onions and cook until done about another 15 minutes or until an instant read thermometer reads 160. The juices should have reduced to form a glaze. If not remove the chicken and put the remaining sauce into a small pot and heat until thickened.


Arrange the chicken and serve.




I would serve this again as it was easy to make and was a big hit. We made our usual salad and a side of asparagus and we were good to go!

No comments: