Thursday, March 08, 2007

Chilly Willy

So brrr, it is cold lately down right freeze the meat off your bones cold! During weather like this a type of meal that sticks to your bones is downright required. The best sit around and hold something warm meal I know of is chili.

Chili with homemade cheddar cheese biscuits, even better

For chili I make a pretty simple recipe: chili seasoning mix, beef, beans, tomatoes, tomato paste and it takes about a half an hour to make.

For the chili seasoning I make my own mix of a blend of secret and probably some obvious ingredients:


All the dry ingredients are mixed together and it makes it very easy to whip up a batch. If you are interested in the mix, drop me an email and I can send you some.

At the same time I also start to brown about a pound of beef in a stock pot. Once the beef is browned I drain off the remaining fat and add a variety of beans of vegetables that we have in the house.


in this case I added:

1 16 ounce can of black beans
1 16 ounce can of red pinto beans with the liquid
1 16 ounce large can of crushed tomatoes a
1 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
let it simmer for about a half an hour.

While the chili was simmering I got out some backing powder, all purpose flour, salt and sugar and sifted it through a small mesh colander.


Once it was nicely mixed I then cut some butter into the mix and added some milk.


At the end, I tend added some nice shredded cheddar cheese to the mix. Then the whole big doughy goo was formed nicely onto the counter


Now we had a bit of a problem. I don't own a biscuit cutter or an egg ring to cut the biscuits, what to do WHAT TO DO!!!!!!

Well what we do own is a lot of baby bottles that have this nifty rings that are about the correct size to cut biscuits with. Not sure if Avent knows their baby bottles are so handy!


After 25 minutes in the oven- TA DA! all done!


We had some left over brown rice that I used when we platted up the chili. Overall everything was really easy to make and I like having my own chili mix around to control both the amount of salt as well as the heat of the dish.



1 comment:

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

Baby bottle rings! The kitchen miracle tool -- good job and the chili looks great!