Thursday, February 22, 2007

Carrot Tops


Last week I wrote about the London Broil we had made for dinner. When it comes to having a vegetable side dish for our dinners it usually follows the standard fare. Items such as broccoli or green beans or usually asparagus when we have steak.


I wanted to have something different and given the marinade on the London Broil some sort of veggie with a little bit to balance everything out.


If you have ever been to Boston or Chicago there is a restaurant called Brasserie Jo. It is a French Brasserie and serves consistent food. Not surprisingly their French Onion soup is fairly killer.


The one item that we always enjoy is these mustard carrots that they serve cold prior to your meal. The plan was to replicate those carrots and serve them hot as a side dish.


Carrots area fairly underrated veggie by most accounts. Despite having a Carrot Museum online where you can email Mr. Carrot a question one does not hear a lot about carrots.


I checked the cook books we have around the house and none had any recipes for mustard carrots so I went to my usual recipe book, Google, to see what I could locate. I got back 1,240,000 results for mustard carrots.


I read through the first few dozen or so recipes and settled on what seemed to be the basic elements:


  • Lots of BUTTER whooo hoooo!
  • Carrots of course
  • Mustard, I used a whole grain Dijon (which I would not use again)
  • Brown sugar
  • Parsley to garnish



Having made sugar glazed carrots a bunch of times I started with the same basic way:




Some butter in the pan


I then added some roughly julienned carrots (I know you can't roughly julienne something either it is julienned or it is not but work with me here) once the butter melted.




Once the butter had coated the carrots and the carrots had softened just a little bit, about 5 minutes over medium heat, I added about 2-3 tablespoons of the mustard. Once that had been incorporated, I added about one tablespoon of brown sugar.




Another minute or two until the desired softness was achieved.

We like ours a little crunchy.

Then I added the parsley and ta da! All done.

Overall I thought this was wicked easy and the wife said it was serve this to company. However, the sweetness of the Dijon mustard was a bit of a put off. At the table we added a bit of fresh ground black pepper to offset the sweetness of the mustard. Additionally, while we liked the way the cracked mustard looked on the dish, the little bits tended to get stuck in our teeth.

Next time I will probably go with a good quality 'plain' mustard and then add tarragon if I want some sweetness to the dish. I add tarragon to the compound butter I make so it would most likely be very complimentary.


1 comment:

Lisa Fain (Homesick Texan) said...

Tarragon sounds like it would be a perfect addition to the recipe. Such a wonderful herb!