Monday, September 11, 2006

Broken Heart Cookies



Most people in the North East and the Mid-Atlantic have some story or association with 9/11. I was flying to Newark on 9/11 and landed at the same time the first plane hit the World Trade Center. I made my way through northern New Jersey listening to Howard Stern and made my way to meet up with a co-worker. My wife who was in Boston at work only knew that there were some flights that may of may not of been going to or going from Boston to New York or Newark or here and there. I was not able to get to her but was able to relay a message to her that I was fine and it was not my plane.

What I remember about the day was how beautiful a day it was, much like it is in Boston today. My colleague and I took the slow trip back to Boston passing cars of people crying and listening to the radio. We got several views of Manhattan and the darken skyline. It broke my heart then and still does to this day.





We both know some people and certainly friends of people who died on 9/11. We should never forget. You can take a look here at Legacy.com so that we never forget the people who died on 9/11.

Here is a recipe for HEART-SHAPED SUGAR COOKIES that I took from Cooks.com. Please share them with someone you love, share them with everyone-


HEART-SHAPED SUGAR COOKIES
Printed from COOKS.COM

1 1/2 c. sifted powdered sugar
1 c. butter
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract
2 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. cream of tartar
Mix sugar and butter. Add egg and flavorings and mix thoroughly. Measure flour and sift with dry ingredients and blend into butter mixture, mixing well. Refrigerate 2-3 hours. When ready to bake, divide dough in half and roll out to 3/16 inch thick on lightly floured pastry cloth.

Cut with floured heart shaped cookie cutter. Place on lightly greased baking sheet and bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 7-8 minutes. Let cool and frost with pink tinted easy creamy icing or put two baked heart shaped cookies together with red-tinted peppermint, flavored icing.

NOTE: If you prefer, cookies may be sprinkled with red sugar before baking.

EASY CREAMY ICING:
1 c. sifted powdered sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla or other flavoring
1 1/2 tsp. cream or 1 tbsp. water
Blend sugar, salt, and flavoring (try lemon, almond or peppermint). Add cream to make easy to spread. Tint with a few drops of red food coloring.

No comments: